MEVANS, for all your travel needs...

So...I like to travel..a lot! These are my stories.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Love Technology (but not as much as you and me)

Whoa! Napoleon Dynamite throwback. OK, I got that out of my system. I've had a bit of cabin fever lately, so please forgive my wackiness.

Did you ever stop to think about what booking and planning trips used to be like? As a late twenty-something (ouch) I can slightly recall what days were like without computers, the Internet, cell phones, and navigation systems. My recent trip to Cali made me think about these things. Bud and I were roaming around San Francisco and got into the discussion of, what did people DO before all this technology? Carry maps around? Ask strangers for help? Plan all of their routes ahead of time (not using Mapquest mind you)? What if you were in a foreign country?

I roughly remember my Moms spending hours on the phone with travel agents and airlines trying to book the best deals possible. Isn't it nice that in literally seconds you can have an entire trip planned? I like being in charge of my plans in that way (Type A personality people, what can I say). I hate to be all "golly gee the Internet is amazing", but it really is - and has certainly made my life much easier.

When we were lost in San Francisco, almost the whole weekend mind you, the Google Maps app on Bud's phone and the car's navigation system got us through each time. We didn't even have to pull out the Hagstrom, and seriously, I wouldn't even know how to read one! Shout out to the car's navi by the way, because it found the best Mexican food of my life. Yes, it was life changing Mexican food (and yes, I stole that from Spencer Pratt).

I can go on, and on, and on, but I won't. I'm interested to see how much more the travel industry changes in the future, and what impact technology will have on that change. Wow, that sounds like an essay conclusion.....feel free to discuss amongst yourselves :) 

xoxo mevans  





No comments:

Post a Comment