MEVANS, for all your travel needs...

So...I like to travel..a lot! These are my stories.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Missing America: There's No Place Like Home

First 2011 post!

Have you ever gotten to that breaking point on a trip, where you are like, enough is enough, I'm ready to go home? No matter what the reason is (i.e. being gone for a really long amount of time, sick of your fellow travel partner, or simply missing home), I think we all suffer from this during some point in our trip. Especially if it's a long one.

The reason I bring this is up is because my friend James has been touring Australia the last few weeks. We were just talking about length of trips and how long is too long. While there is no doubt that it's an AMAZING time (hello, Great Barrier Reef? Sydney Opera House? Koalas - although I would probably die if I held one), it must be an exhausting-ly  long time away from HOME in general, not to mention A LOT of travel.

My trip breaking point is about 9-10 days. My longest trips were my trip to St. Lucia/Florida (12 days) and my trip to South America (13 days). When I was in St. Lucia, I actually think I said out loud at one point, "I miss America"....I really just wanted the general familiarity of my normal surroundings, and of course my family and friends.

There's something to be said about disappearing for a bit and then coming back to your normal routine. It's like you almost appreciate the routine more. It's nice to come back to some degree of normalcy, and of course, your own bed and pillow. I love that feeling!

Plus, the sooner you get home, the sooner you can start planning your next trip! That travel "bug" sure is infectious!

Welcome home James! 

What's YOUR breaking point?

xoxo mevans

No comments:

Post a Comment