MEVANS, for all your travel needs...

So...I like to travel..a lot! These are my stories.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Pack it up, Pack it in

Let me begin (I'm sorry, I had to). 


I had some problematic posting issues last week...Sorry guys! My Internet was down the last few days, and as you can imagine, I was devastated. I'm sure all of you were too. Apparently I can't access my pic(ks) at the moment either, so you will just have to deal with my post for this week. *Sigh*, technology. 


I've come to believe that packing is a scientific process. There are so many variables involved in packing for your trip, you literally  have to come up with a scientific equation to make every inch of your suitcase or travel bag count. I can definitely over-pack (you know how much I like to be prepared for EVERY situation). Due to all the limitations the airlines and TSA has now, I'm getting better at figuring out what my essentials are.  


The airlines certainly do not make it easy either. The airlines usually charge for any extra bags (first checked bag flies free). If it's a short trip (like 5 days or less) I try to pack me and Bud separately in two carry-ons. Trust me, it can be done!


Bringing only one carry-on per person has its perks, since you don't have to mess with baggage claim. Besides, even the THOUGHT that my bag might not come down the conveyor belt absolutely terrifies me.  Side note; next time you are at the airport and happen to be by the baggage claim, be sure to people watch. I think you can tell a person's personality just by seeing them fight their way through the crowd and haul their bags begrudgingly off to side. It's great. Really. 


Oh, and another piece of advice if you do plan on checking. Never assume that yours is going to be the only electric blue or bright orange bag. There's usually about a dozen others. Wanna be creative? Cover yours in duct tape and write your last name all over the tape with magic marker. You'll be able to spot it no problem. 


xoxo  mevans

No comments:

Post a Comment